Sunday 23 September 2012

Undermountain by Eric Edstrom

Undermountain (The Undermountain Saga, #1)Undermountain by Eric Edstrom
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Undermountain had me hooked from the first page. The story begins with the journey of six kids and one adult who were on a hike in the Canadian Rockies. Their group is being chased by an unknown creature, and they are rescued by…bigfoot. Undermountain tells the adventures of Danny, Breyona, Em, Wa, and Shiv as they discover that sometimes myths and legends are true, and sometimes they are scarier than they ever imagined.

I really enjoyed the author's writing style. The book was well written, descriptive, and imaginative, and it kept me captivated from page to page. The story itself was quite original.

The characters in this story are very well written and seem so realistic. Each one is a unique individual with his or her own personality. I love that each of them was given a background story. It made me as a reader feel like I knew each one personally, which made them easy to relate to and added to the emotion of the story. Even Bronson, who is the guy you love to hate, had his own story. I kind of felt sorry for him at the end…sort of. I really enjoyed having the different points of views. Sometimes it can be difficult to transition from one person to the next with so many changes, but the author did an excellent job with this.

I fell in love with the bigfeet. Their society was so complex with many different levels. The author did such a great job of individualizing each bigfoot so each had his own individual personality. I liked that the author made their societal problems part of the story as well. In the end, even though they felt they were above the humans, it turned out that their society was just as corrupt as the human's was.

The book was long, but it never got dull or tedious. Each page brought something new, making you want to keep reading. The world building in this story was amazing, and I love the complexity of the plot with both the bigfoot and the tangoga. From one page to the next, you never quite knew whom you should be trusting, and the minute you think you know what is going on, another curve is thrown in to keep you on your toes. I am definitely looking forward to more novels from Eric Edstrom!

Interview with author Eric Edstrom:
http://makingconnectionsgroup.blogspo...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment